Premier League giants Chelsea have not been able to add to their existing squad for over one year but that is set to change in the summer with the Blues expected to splash to improve some areas in the team including centre back and the forward positions.
Chelsea were able to sign a new player to the first-team squad in the summer of 2019 and they have not been able to add further signings since then mainly due to the ban on transfers as imposed on them by world’s governing body for football, FIFA, last summer. The ban was for two windows before they were spared the second transfer market thanks to their appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS).
Despite being free to sign players in the January 2020 window, Chelsea failed to add to their first team and that led to a little backlash from the impatient Blues Faithfuls. The club quickly moved to calm them down with the acquisition of Ajax Amsterdam playmaker Hakim Ziyech who won’t join until this summer.
- Why Manchester United Must Retain Odion Ighalo
- EPL: Edinson Cavani Transfer: All The Latest Updates
- EPL: Man United Adopt New Transfer Strategy Ahead Of This Summer
Chelsea fans would be hoping that the signing of Hakim Ziyech is a sign of more quality players to walk through the Stamford Bridge door starting from this summer as the West London giants plot their way back to the top of English football under the guidance of club legend and manager Frank Lampard. Let’s examine the top three potential transfers at the club in the summer:
1. Jadon Sancho – The Borussia Dortmund winger is one of the most in-demand players ahead of the summer especially amongst the Premier League big boys. Borussia Dortmund also want to increase his weekly wages for him to stay for at least one more season.
2. Nathan Ake – The Dutch international was at Chelsea before his transfer to Bournemouth in 2017 after a successful loan spell with the Cherries and he has been linked with a return to the club.
3. Timo Werner – Chelsea want to sign a new striker and the RB Leipzig man could be the player to do the job but they face stiff opposition from rivals Liverpool.