The centre back has been a problematic department for Arsenal over the last two decades especially since the Invincibles who masterminded an unbeaten run for the club throughout the course of the 2003/04 season.
That unbeaten season some 16 years ago was the last time Arsenal had the best defensive record in the division and it culminated in their 13th and final league title till date. The Gunners have not been able to produce a defence that could fire them to another league title.
Arsenal have had some good centre back partnerships since the Invincibles but they have not been good enough to lead the club to another title. The Invincibles had Sol Campbell and Kolo Toure at the heart of the defence.
Both Sol Campbell and Kolo Toure were instrumental to the defensive solidity which served as the platform for a mindblowing season during the 2003/04 campaign. The state of Arsenal’s defence deteriorated over the past few years but that has eased up with the arrival of former player Mikel Arteta who was named the permanent Gunners boss in December 2019.
- Man United ‘Only Three Signings’ Away From Challenging Man City, Liverpool Next Season
- EPL: Manchester United And Rivals Chase Shock Move For Brighton Defender
- Arsenal Would Finally Strengthen Their Defense With The Capture Of Christian Kabasele
Arteta and Arsenal had one of the best defences in the division from the time he took over the affairs of the first team until when the current season had to be called off temporarily due to the Coronavirus pandemic. Despite the defensive improvements under his watch, Arteta is still expected to strengthen his team with a centre back signing at least ahead of next season.
Here are the best three centre back signings for Mikel Arteta and Arsenal potentially:
1. Dayot Upamecano – The young French player is on the payroll of German Bundesliga club RB Leipzig and he’s said to be attracting the interest of both Bayern Munich and Real Madrid.
2. Nathan Ake – The Bournemouth star is widely regarded as one of the best centre backs outside the Premier League top six teams. Chelsea are in the mix to sign him this summer.
3. Jonathan Tah – Bayer Leverkusen and German defender is a top target for Mikel Arteta and Arsenal this summer.