European football is gearing towards a return in the coming weeks after the enforced break in the 2019/20 season. Coronavirus led to the abrupt break in football across the world.
Before the present campaign was suspended, several strikers have made their mark this season from experienced Bayern Munich and Polish international striker Robert Lewandowski to Leicester City hitman Jamie Vardy to the new kid on the block Erling Haaland. Young Norwegian international Haaland recently changed clubs from Austrian champions Red Bull Salzburg to Borussia Dortmund in the German Bundesliga.
- Man Utd Beating Derby In FA Cup Clash Shows Signing Solskjaer Must Make
- Man United Face Serious Threat For Redhot Striker
- Three-Man Man Utd Shortlist For January Unveiled
Here are the leading marksmen in Europe this season:
1. Robert Lewandowski – The Bayern Munich player has scored goals for fun this season. He is the leading goalscorer in both the German Bundesliga and the Champions League. Lewandowski has scored 11 goals in just seven matches plus a return of 25 goals in 23 German Bundesliga games. In total, he has 40 goals in 33 matches in all competitions and only young striker Erling Haaland can match his strike rate in the top European leagues this season.
2. Ciro Immobile – The Italian international has had the best scoring season of his career after 27 league goals in 26 games. Roberto Mancini is the Italian national team manager and he would be hoping the player can transform that impressive goal return to national team level. He has scored 30 goals in 32 games in all competitions for Lazio this term.
3. Erling Haaland – He is the golden boy of European football after a stellar season that started at Red Bull Salzburg in Austria. Haaland scored 32 goals for the Austrian Bundesliga giants before signing for Borussia Dortmund in January 2020. He has hit the ground running at Dortmund with nine goals in his first eight league games. Borussia Dortmund have reaped rewards for their perseverance in the face of the threat of other big clubs like Manchester United and Juventus during the chase for the striker at the start of the year.
Bayern chief speaks on Man United’s interest on Coman
Man United now know their fate in their chase of French winger Kingsley Coman as they were heavily linked with him in the just conluded summer transfer window.
The Red Devils were linked with Kingsley Coman as an alternative for their top target, Jadon Sancho after they were unable to convince the German Bundesliga outfit to beat down their asking price.
Bayern Munich sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic has revealed that there was no way Kingsley Coman would have joined Man United because they have a high need for him.
- ‘He’s a proper winger’ – Unai Emery set to sanction deal for pacey winger
- This Chelsea player could have been wearing the Man United Jersey
- EPL: Reports of talks with Mesut Ozil dismissed
He recalled the goal scored by Kingsley Coman in the Champions League final, adding that the club heavily relies on his ability to perform better in the new season.
Kingsley Coman has been a Bayern Munich player since 2015, after joining the club on an initial loan deal before making it permanent two years after from Juventus. There is no doubt that they are not willing to part ways with him anytime soon.
Howbeit, Man United were unable to secure the service of their top target and the England international winger as the £108 million fee could not be paid. It is also unlikely if they will make a move for him again, in the subsequent transfer windows.
All hope not lost as Bayern Munich speak up on United target
There is a latest development from German Bundesliga outfit Bayern Munich over David Alaba and that hints that Man United still have hope of securing his signature next season.
David Alaba’s contract ends with the Bundesliga giants next season and that means he will leave as a free player and Man United are reported to be keen on landing him.
The Red Devils are not alone in his chase as Man City are also reported to be major contenders while Italian Serie A outfit Juventus are also working hard to take the front row in the race to sign David Alaba.
- EPL: Arsenal now have a new prized asset
- EPL: Man United could consider £60m-rated defender
- Why I Decided To Stay At Lyon, Arsenal Target Aouar
Bayern Munich have been making efforts to hand him a new deal and he is yet to agree to it but they have now come out to state that they will not force David Alaba to sign a deal with the club, but noted that at the moment, he remains their player.
The club also stressed that David Alaba will not be given an ultimatum to sign a new deal with the club because they are serious about it but they are also willing to allow him to make the choice that will make him happy in his career.
Bayern Munich to win the signature of Arsenal target
If the latest reports are anything to go by, then German Bundesliga outfit Bayern Munich will be announcing the capture of Espanyol midfielder Marc Roca who is being linked with English Premier League club Arsenal.
The Spanish midfielder has been on the radar of manager Mikel Arteta and was believed to be an alternative to Atletico Madrid midfielder Thomas Partety but the Gunners failed to make any tangible bid for his signature.
- Chelsea News: Rudiger On The Move
- Paul Scholes faults Man United transfer decision on Haaland
- Barcelona Reject Huge Bid For Man United Target
Marc Roca is one of the best players on the books of the Spanish team but he was helpless in having them avoid relegation last season. He is very much available in the summer transfer window, especially if he will be assured of a return to top-flight football.
Bayern Munich have also been interested in the signature of Marc Roca for a long time and they made a failed attention in the winter transfer window earlier in the year.
Espanyol are demanding for 40 million euros for the signature of Marc Roca as they are also struggling to pay his wages. Marca reports that the player is on his way to Germany to have his medical with the Europan champions and is expected to be confirmed by the club before the summer transfer window is shut on Monday.
Liverpool Agree Deal To Sign World-class Midfielder
Premier League champions Liverpool have agreed a deal to sign Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago Alcantara this summer as they look to build on the squad that won the league title last term.
The Athletic revealed that Liverpool have been in talks for the world-class talent over the past weeks and that they made a breakthrough earlier this week.
Thiago Alcantara had been strongly linked with an exit from Bayern Munich this summer and the Bavarian giants were keen to wrap up a deal for him before the start of their new Bundesliga campaign on Friday.
- Callum Hudson-Odoi: Here’s a detailed report on how the event unfold
- Transfer: Three more to go for Man United
- Man United Could Agree £20m Transfer Exit To Help Fund New Signing
Bayern wanted to get a transfer fee for the Spanish international rather than receive nothing for his transfer when his contract runs out at the end of this season.
The reigning European champions asked for £27m for Thiago Alcantara and Liverpool initially tabled a £20m for him.
The Reds have now been able to meet up with the financial demands of the transfer. They will pay an initial fee of £20m plus £7m in add-ons provided the player wins the Premier League title or the Champions League title.
Thiago Alcantara has already agreed a four-year deal with Liverpool and he’ll be their second signing this summer after Greek left-back Kostantinos Tsimikas.
Liverpool or Manchester United? Thiago Breaks Silence On Bayern Munich Future
Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago Alcantara has finally spoken about his future at the Allianz Arena amidst the rumours linking him with several Premier League clubs.
Liverpool and Manchester United have been touted as the top two frontrunners for his signature, while Arsenal have also been mooted as a potential transfer destination for the 29-year-old Spanish international.
Thiago Alcantara spoke about his future in a chat with reporters shortly after the UEFA Nations League clash between Spain and Germany which ended in a 1-1 draw. Spain needed a late goal from Jose Gaya to salvage a point after new Chelsea signing Timo Werner had given hosts Germany the lead.
- UEFA Super Cup: Klopp Speaks About Lampard Ahead Of Clash
- EPL: Chelsea Starting XI vs Liverpool
- United beaten by City in another world record transfer deal
The Bayern Munich star was on for the entire duration of the game.
When quizzed by reporters after the game, Thiago said that his focus is on the next game against Ukraine in the UEFA Nations League before adding that his home is in Munich.
Thiago Alcantara played his part in the Bayern Munich title win in the Champions League which sealed a fantastic treble for the Bavarian giants.
He has just one year left on his contract at the club and a £27m price tag has been slapped on him.
Favourites Liverpool have not been able to agree to the aforementioned transfer fee thus opening up a window of opportunity for Manchester United to usurp their rivals in the race to sign him.
Arsenal still gunning for Thiago, against Liverpool
North London club, Arsenal are not leaving the race to Liverpool alone for Bayern Munich midfielder, Thiago Alcantara as they are reportedly ready for the transfer battle.
The Daily Mail hinted that the Bundesliga outfit will be receiving an offer from the Gunners in the coming days as they have stepped up their interest in the player.
Before now, it was understood that the current Premier League champions are alone in the race and are getting ready to wrap up the deal but that is no longer the case according to the latest reports.
- EPL: United to rival Arsenal for defender, NOT Gabriel Magalhaes
- How Arsenal plan to seal Coutinho deal
- Juventus finally set asking price for Man United target
However, the reason for Liverpool’s failure to complete the deal for Thiago Alcantara is their unwillingness to meet with the £23 million asking price.
Both Arsenal and Liverpool do not value the midfielder as high as that because of his inconsistency in the just-concluded season. There are fears that he is a gamble and may not play for his money.
The North London outfit will hope to land Thiago Alcantara if they are unable to convince Spanish La Liga side, Real Madrid to release him for another season loan.
Arsenal are hoping to rebuild their team with Mikel Arteta expected to bring in a number of players before the end of the summer transfer window.
EPL: Man United to snap up Bayern defender
Man United are already in the search of a new defender that will partner Harry Maguire for the coming season with Bayern Munich defender David Alaba being speculated.
David Alaba has been seen as an ideal signing for manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as he is in search of new players that will return the club to its glory days by winning titles.
It is no longer news that the versatile defender is unwilling to remain with the German Bundesliga outfit, Bayern Munich as he has rejected an improved offer with the club to go elsewhere.
- Barcelona to return for Man United star
- Mourinho Continues To Search For New Left-back, Identifies 18-year-old Ball-winner
- Report – Mourinho Has Been Linked With Move Out Of Old Trafford
David Alaba also has the ability to play as a central defender because of his versatile quality and his technique on the ball. He can fit into the Ole Gunnar Solskjaer team.
However, it is understood that Bayern Munich are still positive about sealing a deal with David Alaba as they are not ready to part ways with him.
Man United are expected to make use of the opportunity and the situation with the player to submit a bid as he will be ready for the Premier League challenge.
Should the Red Devils succeed in landing David Alaba this term, they would have added experience and quality to their team and that will help to make them solid at the back.
The Red Devils will face big competition from Chelsea who are also very interested.
Meanwhile, Bild’s Head of Football Christian Falk has dismissed the report, claiming that Man United are not one of those seeking the signature of David Alaba.
Munich chief hands major boost to United after Thiago’s update
It is now looking certain that English Premier League club, Man United can secure the signature of Thiago Alcantara this summer transfer window, after indicating interest in his service.
Thiago Alcantara is rated as one of the best centre-midfielders in Europe and has been impressive with the German Bundesliga outfit, Bayern Munich but he is unwilling to commit his future at the club with a new deal.
It is not news that Man United prioritize a England international winger, Jadon Sancho but will be willing to make a centre-midfielder signing to have more options and competition in the team.
- The transfer decision Klopp is about to regret
- EPL: Lyon still waiting for Arsenal’s Aouar bid
- Edu opens Arsenal door to Brazilian international
However, the Red Devils have been handed a major boost with Bayern Munich chief Kar-Heinz Rummenigge stating that the club will open the door for Thiago Alcantara’s move this summer window should they receive a fair bid.
Meanwhile, Man United are not alone in the chase of Thiago Alcantara this summer transfer window as M.E.N Sport reports that Liverpool, Man City, Paris-Saint Germain, and Juventus are also in the race for his signature.
This makes it a case of the highest bidder as the Bundesliga club will be waiting to cash in on the player to be able to secure a replacement before the end of the summer transfer window.