The long-term futures of Manchester United centre-back Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo are in serious doubts at the club and their respective exits would almost likely lead to the acquisition of at least one defender.
Chris Smalling has been on loan at Italian Serie A giants AS Roma since last summer after the world-record signing of Harry Maguire forced him out of Old Trafford albeit temporarily. The England international has been impressive during the loan deal at the Stadio Olimpico and that form has led to the Italians requesting for the permanent transfer of the former Fulham star.
AS Roma have been in negotiations with Manchester United over the permanent signing of Chris Smalling this summer but they have not been able to reach an agreement on that matter.
- EPL: Man United Set Asking Price For Real Madrid, Juventus Target Pogba
- EPL: Chelsea Eyeing Summer Swoop For £25m-rated Man United Loanee
- EPL: 22-year-old Winger Set For New Man United Deal, Pogba Also Wants New Contract
For Phil Jones, the ex-Blackburn Rivers player has been at Manchester United since joining the club in 2011 but it’s looking like this season might be the last one for the England international at Old Trafford. On his part, Argentine international defender Marcos Rojo is on loan at Estudiantes in his native country and the player is now expected to stay at his boyhood club permanently at the end of his loan spell.
With the futures of Rojo, Smalling and Jones in doubt, here are the top three centre back options for Manchester United this summer:
1. Nathan Ake – The Bournemouth centre back has been a wonderful servant for the Cherries since his permanent transfer from Chelsea in 2017. The Dutch international could be available for transfer this summer.
2. Dayot Upamecano – The RB Leipzig centre back is one of the most in-demand defensive players ahead of this summer’s transfer market. Arsenal, Barcelona, Real Madrid and others are also interested in him.
3. Diego Carlos – The Sevilla player has been a revelation since his transfer to the Spanish La Liga last summer and he’s attracting a lot of transfer attention from Premier League clubs.