Star player suspension provides new selection dilemma for Conte.

Chelsea star and match winner on Saturday against Southampton, Marcos Alonso picked up a late yellow card his fifth of the season and is now going to serve one ban. This provides a major selection headache for manager Antonio Conte, as he prepares his side for Wednesday’s Carabao cup Quarter-final match against Bournemouth at Stamford Bridge.

Alonso at the moment is Chelsea’s only recognized player at left wing-back though they are a few capable of deputizing in the said position. But with Davide Zappacosta struggling with illness and Victor Moses only recently recovering from a serious hamstring injury, Conte has admitted that Alonso absence is badly timed.

“For sure I prefer to have all my players to have all my players available, also because we have to play a Quarter final against Bournemouth in Carabao Cup,”he said. “Now there is a problem. Zappacosta is recovering from a bad flu, but it can happen. We must be ready to overcome this type of problem, this difficulty.”

Alonso who has had a tough second season at Stamford Bridge provided the moment of quality that gave all 3 points to the Blues on Saturday.

The Carabao Cup provides a first chance of Silverware for the Blues and is being treated seriously given their current position in the league so far.

Latest News