Manchester United splashed the cash on Harry Maguire last summer and the England international was able to improve their defence until football was halted as a result of the viral disease ‘Coronavirus’.
Harry Maguire became the most expensive defender in world football following his costly transfer from the Foxes. Leicester City received £80m for the move shortly before the start of this campaign. His impact on the Manchester United team encouraged manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to make him the team captain in January 2020 after previous recipient Ashley Young left for Italian giants Inter Milan.
With Harry Maguire at the heart of the Manchester United this season, the club has the fourth best defensive record until March 2020 when football was suspended. The Red Devils have conceded 30 goals in 27 league games in the current campaign meaning that’s a ratio of around 1 goal scored by opponents per game.
- EPL: Arsenal No.1 Summer Transfer Target Already Decided
- EPL: Man United Set Price For Loanee Chris Smalling
- Manchester United Table Sensational £325m Summer Swoop
Harry Maguire has been a success at the Theatre of Dreams and that has encouraged the club to spend more money to improve the defence again. The preference is a better centre back pairing for Maguire as fans have called for a better defender than current recipient Victor Lindelof. Manchester United also want a new fullback signing this summer.
Here are three defenders Manchester United to target this summer:
1. Kalidou Koulibaly – The Napoli defender is available this summer and Manchester United are long-term admirers. The Red Devils will have to contend with other teams like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea and Paris Saint Germain (PSG) who are interested in the player.
2. Matthijs De Ligt – The Dutch international came close to joining Manchester United last summer before signing for Italian champions Juventus. De Ligt has not had the best of times in his first season at Juventus and the Red Devils could take advantage by making a summer swoop for the young defender.
3. Max Aarons – The Norwich City fullback has been one of the shining lights of a forgettable season for the Canaries. Arsenal and Manchester United have both been linked with the English defender.
EPL: Dayot Upamecano opens up on Manchester United speculation
This might not be good news for English Premier League club Manchester United as they have been told that they are not alone in the race for Dayot Upamecano and it is made clear that there are yet to be a concrete offer for his signature.
The player himself made this known when he admitted he has been in great demand but noted that he does not know what the future holds for him as he has just signed a new contract with his club because he wants to be with his teammates.
- EPL: This Arsenal player could be heading to Germany
- EPL: Liverpool Transfer Plan For Potential Summer Signing Revealed
- EPL: Manchester United And Rivals Chase Shock Move For Brighton Defender
The RB Leipzig was also on Arsenal radar but with the capture of Gabriel Magalhaes, the Red Devils will now enjoy a free run for his signature in January.
It is understood that manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is a big fan of the 21-year-old as he was attracted by his impressive performances on RB Leipzig’s run to the Champions League semi-finals.
However, reports claim that the Red Devils board is not too convinced about the readiness of Dayot Upamecano for a first-team football in the English Premier League and that has to be sorted out before an official bid is submitted to his club in January.
Transfer: How Cristiano Ronaldo is still helping United
Juventus star, Cristiano Ronaldo might have parted ways with his former club, Manchester United but that does not mean he has not been having one influence or the other on the club.
This was made known by former defender Patrice Evra who claims that the Portuguese star played a major role in bringing Bruno Fernandes to Manchester United in the last winter transfer window.
He revealed that Cristiano Ronaldo was the one who gave the go-ahead to the club to move in for Bruno Fernandes as they did not know anything about the player before his capture.
- United to have goalkeeping crisis after this player’s decision
- EPL: Pep Guardiola backs Arsenal’s move for target
- Arsenal to upset Liverpool as they enter shock deal for midfielder
Patrice Evra stated that Bruno Fernandes is now making a massive impact at the club by ensuring more wins and helping to bring out the best in Paul Pogba.
Bruno Fernandes has even boasted that the best is yet to be seen of him as he has been training very hard to help his team the more in the coming season.
However, Cristiano Ronaldo remains a living legend of Manchester United as he made a very big impact at the Old Trafford, including winning of the Champions League, the Premier League as well as winning the World Best Footballer award as a Red Devils player under manager Alex Ferguson.
Manchester United are £2m close to sealing 19-year-old sensation
The search by English Premier League club Manchester United continues for players that will turn their season around but they are only close to sealing one.
Manchester United are keen on a new defender that will partner Harry Maguire and have been linked with French Ligue 1 outfit Monaco star, Benoit Badiashile with their first bid rejected.
According to AS, the Red Devils had submitted an offer of £25 million for the signature of Benoit Badiashile but Monaco rejected it because it was £2 million short of his release clause.
- Is Timo Werner Really Worth His €60m Price Tag?
- james rodriguez On His Way To Old Trafford As Makeshift For Paul Pogba
- Arsenal Legend Tipped For Premier League Job By Former Teammate
This means the Red Devils can complete the signing of the central defender if they return with an additional £2 million bid as that is the only way they can land him in January transfer window.
The Spanish outlet also adds that Monaco are not interested in parting ways with Benoit Badiashile because they still have a big need of him but they will be left with no choice if his release clause is tabled.
One area manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will focus on in January is the defensive department after seeing his team concede 36 goals last season.
However, we expect to see more signings from the Red Devils in January.