Manchester United splashed the cash on Harry Maguire last summer and the England international was able to improve their defence until football was halted as a result of the viral disease ‘Coronavirus’.
Harry Maguire became the most expensive defender in world football following his costly transfer from the Foxes. Leicester City received £80m for the move shortly before the start of this campaign. His impact on the Manchester United team encouraged manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to make him the team captain in January 2020 after previous recipient Ashley Young left for Italian giants Inter Milan.
With Harry Maguire at the heart of the Manchester United this season, the club has the fourth best defensive record until March 2020 when football was suspended. The Red Devils have conceded 30 goals in 27 league games in the current campaign meaning that’s a ratio of around 1 goal scored by opponents per game.
- EPL: Arsenal No.1 Summer Transfer Target Already Decided
- EPL: Man United Set Price For Loanee Chris Smalling
- Manchester United Table Sensational £325m Summer Swoop
Harry Maguire has been a success at the Theatre of Dreams and that has encouraged the club to spend more money to improve the defence again. The preference is a better centre back pairing for Maguire as fans have called for a better defender than current recipient Victor Lindelof. Manchester United also want a new fullback signing this summer.
Here are three defenders Manchester United to target this summer:
1. Kalidou Koulibaly – The Napoli defender is available this summer and Manchester United are long-term admirers. The Red Devils will have to contend with other teams like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea and Paris Saint Germain (PSG) who are interested in the player.
2. Matthijs De Ligt – The Dutch international came close to joining Manchester United last summer before signing for Italian champions Juventus. De Ligt has not had the best of times in his first season at Juventus and the Red Devils could take advantage by making a summer swoop for the young defender.
3. Max Aarons – The Norwich City fullback has been one of the shining lights of a forgettable season for the Canaries. Arsenal and Manchester United have both been linked with the English defender.