The current Coronavirus menace could have a lasting effect on football especially in the areas of transfers. The era of expensive transfers could be over until the foreseeable future as clubs try to limit the negative effects of the viral disease on their finances.
The big European clubs have spent billions of euros on transfers but the upcoming transfer market could see the major clubs relying on cheap, average or even swap transfer deals to boost their squads for the 2020/21 season. The era of French champions Paris Saint Germain (PSG) spending €222m or Spanish giants Barcelona splashing the huge sum of €200m on Brazilian international Philippe Coutinho won’t exist anymore at least until further notice.
European clubs are likely to play behind closed doors until next year at the earliest and that would impact their finances due to the absence of ticket sales thus affecting the money available for transfers negatively. With this in mind, clubs are open to the idea of swap deals for the transfer market this summer.
One of the potential swap deals being discussed is Paul Pogba and Aaron Ramsey swapping clubs. Welshman Ramsey has been at Italian champions Juventus since his free transfer move from Arsenal last summer, while Pogba has spent four years at Manchester United in his second spell at the club on the back of his then-world record transfer from Juventus in 2016.
- EPL: Man United To Pay €140m For Top Transfer Target
- How transfer ban appeal will help Chelsea
- The Modern 16-year-old Player Man United Want To Sign
Juventus are interested in bringing back French international Paul Pogba to the club and Aaron Ramsey could be the man to make way for him in the form of a swap deal. Ramsey has not performed to the best of his potentials in Turin since he became a Juventus player though that is down to several injury spells.
Paul Pogba is the best player at Manchester United but he has not been able to show his quality on the pitch consistently for many reasons from controversies to injuries and it could be the best time for him to leave the Theatre of Dreams. Ramsey could be a good replacement for him at Old Trafford via the following reasons:
1. No Adaptation Period – Ramsey has Premier League experience spanning over 11 years meaning that he won’t need to adapt to a new league. The Welsh international can be able to hit the ground running at the start of the new season.
2. Goals and Assists – The ex-Arsenal player is a goalscoring midfielder which is in short supply on the Premier League stage. He scored goals for fun for the Gunners from midfield and he could reprise the same form at Manchester United while working together with Bruno Fernandes.