It’s no longer news that Manchester United have strengthened their attack for the rest of this season with the signing of Nigerian striker Odion Ighalo.
The Red Devils secured the loan signing of Ighalo from his Chinese Super League (CSL) club Shanghai Shenhua on the final day of the winter transfer window last month as a cover for the injured Marcus Rashford who was the leading marksman for his team before his unfortunate injury.
Rashford won’t play for Manchester United until next month at least after copping a double stress fracture during a collision with Matt Doherty.
The injury happened during the FA Cup clash between his Manchester United side and Wolves.
Before that Wolves game, Rashford scored 19 goals in the colours of the Red Devils in all competitions.
- EPL: Liverpool Suffers Another Injury Ahead Of Tottenham Clash
- Man United Offer Will See Defender Move To Old Trafford
- EPL: Crystal Palace vs Arsenal: Where To Watch Online
Ighalo has joined Manchester United as a short-term replacement for the England international and what he would add to the attacking department at Old Trafford.
The 30-year-old boyhood Manchester United fan has been handed the number 25 shirt after his official unveiling earlier this week. He could make his debut for his new team in their next Premier League clash at the home of Chelsea on February 18.
Ighalo will add to the Manchester United firepower in the following ways:
1. Plan B – The retired Super Eagles player would definitely offer Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer a plan B which he does not have at his disposal even when Rashford returns. Manchester United have struggled against teams that defend deep against them and Ighalo could be the man to unlock ways of breaching these type of teams especially with his potent aerial threat.
2. Goals – Manchester United are without a goal in their last three Premier League games and Odion Ighalo could be the man to spark a revival in that aspect starting from the Chelsea game later this month.