Manchester United were dealt a big blow with the news of the injury to star forward Marcus Rashford last month and that left the club threadbare as far as forward options are concerned especially with the summer exits of Alexis Sanchez and Romelu Lukaku last year.
Alexis Sanchez signed for Inter Milan on loan at the start of this campaign, while Romelu Lukaku joined the same team permanently in a £73.1m deal. Their exits left Manchester United left Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford and young Mason Greenwood as the only central striker options available at the club and that ensured that the long-term injury to Rashford has been keenly felt.
In addition, Marcus Rashford is the topscorer with 19 goals in all competitions and the Red Devils are yet to score a league goal since the injury to him.
- EPL: Olivier Giroud Transfer, All The Latest Updates
- 68-goal Striker Tops List Of Players Who Should Be Courted By Manchester United
- Rashford Arrives At Training Ground For Fitness Test Ahead Of Liverpool Clash
Nigerian striker Odion Ighalo has been signed on loan as cover for the injured Rashford but the club is expected to sign at least one marquee signing this summer despite the imminent return of Alexis Sanchez from Italian Serie A title contenders Inter Milan. Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer recently disclosed that Chilean international Alexis Sanchez will return to Old Trafford this summer after his loan spell at the San Siro.
Here are the major attacking targets for Manchester United this summer:
1. Timo Werner – The RB Leipzig attacker is a major target for a lot of clubs on the European continent after netting 20 goals in the German Bundesliga. Chelsea, Liverpool and Bayern Munich are also keen to sign the German.
2. Moussa Dembele – The Lyon striker was a January target for Manchester United before the French club revealed that the player is not for sale. The Red Devils are expected to return for him this summer as they try to finally sign a replacement for Lukaku.