Health Benefits of Garlic: Garlic (Allium Sativum) is a pungent-tasting, strong-smelling herb grown around the world. Garlic is a close relative of leeks, onions and chives.
The origin of Garlic could be traced back to Siberia thousands of years ago and it’s from there that the herb spread to other parts of the world.
Garlic is highly aromatic and flavourful which explains why it’s used in virtually all the cuisines in the world.
The majority of the health benefits associated with Garlic are caused by the sulfur compounds it possesses.
Garlic use ranges from heart and blood system-related problems to cancer protection to osteoarthritis and many more.
What are the benefits of Garlic ?
- Lowers High Blood Pressure – Garlic is used in suppressing high blood pressure. The allicin in it helps to relax the blood vessels and also fights thrombosis by limiting the aggregation of platelets.
- Wound Treatment Agent – Garlic could be applied to infected wounds. It serves as an effective herbal treatment for wounds.
- Reduces Cholesterol Levels – The Allicin compound in Garlic helps to reduce the cholesterol levels in the body.
- Aids Digestion – Gastric canal inflammation and irritation are reduced with the use of Garlic. In addition, intestinal problems like colitis, diarrhea and dysentery are cleared up with the help of Garlic.
- Treats Eye Infections – Garlic is rich in nutrients like Vitamin C, quercetin and selenium which are all useful in treating eye infections and inflammation.
- Blood Sugar Regulation – Garlic is useful to those with diabetes or those who have higher risk of diabetes. Eating raw Garlic cloves helps to regulate the blood sugar levels in the body.
- Boosts Immune System – Garlic possesses phytonutrients that strengthen the immune system by preventing DNA damage and reducing oxidative stress.
- Treats Ear Infections – The herb has antibiotic, antiviral and antifungal properties useful in treating ear infections and earaches.
- Asthma – Garlic can be used to effectively control asthma attacks. With the help of boiled Garlic cloves, you can treat asthma. In addition, Garlic is also useful in treating lung infections such as cystic fibrosis.
- Cancer Prevention – Regular Garlic intake limits the risk of brain, prostrate, stomach, bladder, lung, colon, esophagus and liver cancer. Garlic helps to reduce the possibility of tumours synonymous with breast cancer.
- Weight Loss – Garlic promotes thermogenesis which helps to burn fat thus reducing obesity and aiding weight loss.
- Promotes Hair Growth – The application of Garlic gel or Garlic-infused coconut oil to the hair promotes its growth.
- Prevents Ulcer – Garlic has antibacterial compounds help to suppress stomach parasites that prevents peptic ulcer.
- Improves Libido – The herb possesses aphrodisiac properties that help to boost the libido of both men and women.