Health Benefits of Cucumber: Cucumber (scientific name Cucumis Sativus) is a close relation of pumpkin, watermelon, squash etc and they all belong to the same plant family (Cucurbitaceae family).
95% constituent of Cucumber is water thus making it a perfect hydration agent especially on a hot summer day.
Cucumber is highly beneficial in nutrients like Vitamin C, Manganese, Copper, Vitamin K, Potassium and B Vitamins. In addition, it also contains antioxidants and some plant compounds useful in preventing and treating some conditions.
The flesh part of cucumber contains nutrients like the vitamins and folic acid while the hard part is rich in fibre and minerals like potassium, calcium and many more.
What are the benefits Cucumber ?
- Skin Care – The Silica constituent in Cucumber makes it an effective skin care agent. Silica helps in developing strong and healthy connective tissues in the tendons, muscles, ligaments, bones, and cartilage. Moisture is the best friend to an healthy skin and cucumber has that in abundance.
- Regulates Blood Pressure – Cucumber contains nutrients like magnesium, fibre and potassium which help to control the blood pressure. Patients that struggles with high or low blood pressure find relief with cucumber intake.
- Healthy Heart – Cucumber intake boosts the healthiness of the heart. It has several antioxidants that protect the heart from diseases. Cucumber intake helps to reduce bad cholesterol thereby promoting a healthy heart.
- Cancer Protection – Cucumber has phytonutrients known as Cucurbitacins which possess anticancer properties. Its intake definitely reduced the risk of cancer. In addition, cucumber has polyphenols which limit the risk of ovarian, breast, prostrate and uterine cancers.
- Stress Relief Agent – The Cucumber can serve as a stress relief agent as a result of the B Vitamins constituents that the cucumber possesses. B vitamins combat the feeling of anxiety and also limit the damaging effects of stress. The B vitamins in Cucumber include vitamin B1, Biotin (vitamin B5) and vitamin B7.
- Aids Digestion – Cucumber is rich in the two elements that aid proper digestion (water and fiber). 95% of the constituents in Cucumber is water and this makes it an effective digestion agent.
- Weight Management – The Cucumber has three characteristics which makes it an effective weight management agent. The three characteristics include low amount of calories, filling fiber and filling fluid.
- Pain Relief – Cucumber has a lot of vitamins and minerals that help to relief muscle and joint pain. Cucumber reliefs pain especially the ones in the joints and in the muscles.
- Refreshes the Mouth – With the cucumber, diseased gums are a thing of the past thus leaving the mouth smelling nice. The Cucumber juice helps to refresh the mouth after combating mouth odours and other mouth diseases.