Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has given an update on Ross Barkley ahead of his first evaluation of the player.
Chelsea’s new signing Ross Barkley trained at the club’s Cobham training base for the first time since he signed over the weekend and is set to meet his new manager on Monday.
The 24-year old has not made an appearance this season due to a hamstring injury that has kept him away from action for about 6 months.
In his statement, Conte revealed that he does not know when Barkley will return to the pitch but he is hoping to help the midfielder make it into England’s World Cup squad.
“We have 5 months to show he deserves a call with the national team for the World Cup,” the Italian manager said.
On how the midfielder can be used tactically in their system, Conte said; “He can play in midfield, if we play with three midfielders or number 10 if we play 3-4-3.”
He further explained that the player will need to understand the playing system at the club before he will be ready for first-team action.
Chelsea signed the England international last week for ₤15 million from Everton after targeting a deal for a while.
The Blues are next in action on Wednesday when they host Arsenal in the Carabao cup first leg semi-final at Stamford Bridge.